100 Days of Code: Day 90

Home / Technology / Web Development / 100 Days of Code: Day 90
I have finished the Markdown Previewer application! This puts me ahead of schedule. Plus, as a bonus, I'm getting more and more comfortable with React.js.

The Front-End Libraries Markdown Previewer Project

The Markdown Previewer application is complete! Wanna see?

Note: you may want to click the button that says Babel to collapse that portion of the viewer so you can view the project in a larger window. Or take a look at the full-page view if you would prefer, especially if you aren’t interested in seeing any of the source code.

[codepen_embed height=”500″ theme_id=”33690″ slug_hash=”ajRzNy” default_tab=”js,result” user=”ablissfullemon”]See the Pen <a href=’https://codepen.io/ablissfullemon/pen/ajRzNy/’>Markdown Previewer</a> by Aimie | Blissful Lemon ­čŹő­čî║ (<a href=’https://codepen.io/ablissfullemon’>@ablissfullemon</a>) on <a href=’https://codepen.io’>CodePen</a>.[/codepen_embed]

Since I went over most of the details yesterday in Part 1 of the┬áMarkdown Previewer, I won’t get too deep into it. However, there are a few things I want to address.

Optional doesn’t mean optional (to me)

If you recall, there were two optional requirements for the Markdown Previewer project.

First, the application had to open a link in a new tab, which isn’t the default for the renderer.┬áSecond, the application had to interpret carriage returns and render them as line breaks.┬áThese requirements were optional because they were a bit more complicated and possibly outside of the comfort zone of some new developers.

Of course, seeing the word ‘optional’ didn’t make it optional to me. That just meant I was going to have to embrace the challenge and find a way to figure it out.

Good documentation is pivitol for success!

The first — and only — thing I did, as per the recommendations, was look at the Marked.js documentation. It took a little while to get past the basic stuff like the specs and usage, but once I got down to the Extensibility section, it was like hitting the jackpot. There’s a little hint for anyone who plans to complete this project in the future.

While I have no intentions of boring you with every tiny detail, I do want to point out that simply having this documentation as a reference was invaluable. There is no way I would have figured it out on my own without the docs, at least not anytime soon.

Developers. Companies. Please. Please. Please. Spend the time and effort on your documentation. If you want your software to be successful, others need to know how to use it and modify it (however much you allow).

I’m Ahead of Schedule!

Last week, I gave myself the goal of completing one project every 3 days so I can finish the Front End Libraries section during this first round of 100 Days of Code. The first project took me 3 days, so I was happy to be right on schedule. This project, however, only took TWO days, which is amazing!

This is a bit of a relief, to be honest. I know I am likely to run into trouble within these next few challenges. I’ve already been warned they are quirky with the testing, so I am mentally prepared.

Let's chat!

%d bloggers like this: